So you have finally decided to pop the question? Your next thought is surely wavering around the type of engagement ring to buy and how to go about the whole process of buying! Don’t worry! You are in the same boat as many others who have decided to propose. You simply need to feed few things to your mind and before you realize, you will be all ready to venture out to buy an engagement ring. Of course, the task can seem daunting and you may need to hop from one store to another in search for the perfect one, but, all your pain will vanish when you see ‘that’ tears of joy in her eyes.
To the normal eye, an engagement ring may seem a mere accessory of metals and stones, however, there lurks an intense message behind them, which goes beyond the mere question, “Will you marry me?” They have the most unique way of expressing your deepest feelings and how sincerely you wish to fulfill your promise of a lifetime of togetherness. Remember, the engagement ring you choose for your partner will not only be a reflection of you in her life, but will have a soul in itself that will always be a reminder of your love and commitments.
Following are some of the things you need to keep in mind when shopping for an Engagement Ring:
- Budget: The first thing which you need to think about is your budget. How much can you spend? What will be the most feasible amount for you to spend? The budget should be decided by you and should not be influenced by the amount others have spent or how much they have asked you to spend. It should be decided as per your own comfort level. In this regard, you need to make a sensible and smart decision as this will give you an idea of what to look for.
- Ring Size: Whilst you think about the budget, try and get her ring size. Budget and her ring size are the two major factors without which you cannot initiate your engagement ring shopping journey. If it is meant to be a surprise, seek the help of her friends, parents or close relative or simply sneak into her room and look for a spare ring. Remember without the perfect ring size, even the world’s most beautiful ring will lose all its charm before her.
- Time and Research: Buying an engagement ring is not a one day affair. It takes days and even months to finally get the engagement ring of your choice. This is especially true if you are opting for customization. So starting your search 5-6 months prior to the intended day of the proposal will give you ample time to make a choice and get it ready. Moreover, you cannot just blindly get in any jewelry store and start looking for a ring. You need to do your research and select stores that are accredited by such institutions as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), American Gemological Society (AGS), European Gemological Laboratory (EGL) etc,. You can seek the advice of your friends or relatives who have already been through it. Also, our engagement rings section is a great place to start.
- Gemstone: When it comes to selecting a gemstone, diamond is usually the first choice that comes to mind. No doubt, opting for the most sought after stone is definitely a great idea, but there are other equally beautiful gemstones like sapphires, rubies, emeralds, opal, amethyst, garnet etc which you can consider. In the selection of a gemstone, make sure that you have taken her desires into consideration too. If she has indirectly given you some idea of what she is looking for your work is half done.It might even happen that your preference is a colored gemstone and her’s a diamond. In that case you can always consider mixing the two by going for a colored halo with a diamond at the center or a three stone setting with a diamond in the center and two colored stones on either side. Select the diamond only after you are well informed about the 4C’s; carat, color, clarity and cut as they are the keys to understand the physical characteristics of a diamond.
- Metal: Along with gemstone, you also need to consider the metal choice. The choice under metal may not be as vast as the choice under gemstone, but it is no less. Platinum is the most coveted metal today, though rose gold is also climbing the ladder of popularity really fast. Other metals choices are yellow gold, white gold, titanium, palladium, green gold, silver, etc. Yet again, having an idea of what she loves will narrow down your search. A popular trend is the mixing of two metals like white gold and rose gold or platinum or rose gold.
- Shape: Needless to say, gemstone comes in innumerable shapes. By shape we mean the geometry of the stone like oval, round, marquise, heart, cushion, princess, Asscher, radiant, pear, etc. When it comes to diamond, round is the most popular choice as they have the maximum fire and brilliance. Having some basic idea about her choice will ease your search.
- Style: After having selected the gemstone, metal, shape, you next need to consider the style. Today’s engagement ring comes in an overwhelming variety of styles and let alone the men, even the women have a tough time selecting. Nevertheless, you do not need to panic! If you have an idea of the style she likes to flaunt, you will have an idea of what to give her. The solitaire style is the most coveted style, though today, the halo setting, the solitaire with diamond accent, the cathedral setting, pave setting, bezel setting, channel setting, floral motif, swirl setting have also won millions of hearts.
- Her Lifestyle: The style should be chosen taking into consideration her lifestyle. She may be into sports, may have a love for gardening, or maybe constantly involved in other activities that involve the use of her hands. In such instances, giving her a complex and elaborate design will only pose as a hindrance to her daily activities. Hence, ensure you choose a ring that completely blends with her lifestyle.
- Wedding Ring: As is now the trend, many people are opting for the bridal set which carries an engagement ring and a matching wedding band. If you are planning to get married anytime soon, you can consider the option of buying the bridal set as it will save a lot of your time later.
- Diamond Certificate: If your choice of gemstone is diamond, make sure they are certified by reputable diamond laboratories like GIA, AGS, IGI, etc. this will give you the much needed confidence and assurance in your purchase and secure the future of the diamond.