Diamonds are considered the hardest and longest lasting stones on the planet. Because diamonds are viewed as something that will last forever, people place a high value on them. These days, you can walk into any store and find a diamond, so what continues to make them so special? Why are they so popular? When did diamond rings become a popular choice by men during proposals?
Here are some fun facts about the history of diamonds and what started the popularity of diamond engagement rings:
- During pre-historic times, one way men symbolically bound their mate to them was by tying a cord made of braided grass on their mate’s wrist or ankle.
- By the 2nd Century, brides were given a gold ring by their groom during the ceremony. A bride would wear the ring on special occasions, but wore an iron ring the rest of the time and when at home.
- During the Middle Ages, men chose and kept their rings prior to choosing a mate. They tied their rings to their hats, so they would be ready when they found their bride-to-be.
- The Puritans in Europe gave their brides with useful thimbles. However, the tops of the thimbles were sliced off to create a ring instead.
- When Austrian Archduke Maximilian proposed to Mary of Burgundy, the ring was set with flat pieces of diamonds forming a letter M.
- In 1867, the supply of diamonds started to increase, particularly in South Africa, making it easier for people to access the precious stones. At that point, not only could the nobles and the super wealthy afford to give their brides diamond rings, but rather anyone with the money to buy one.
- One of the major reasons diamonds became so popular in America was the sentimentality of knowing that they can last forever. People view diamonds as something that can be passed down from generation to generation.
What to expect during your visit to Diamond Exchange Dallas
When you come into our office you will see all of the diamond cutting tools and machines we use to cut and customize diamond jewelry. Also, we have many high powered microscopes that we will let our customers use to get a closer look at their diamond goods. As diamond buyers Dallas TX we can use your current diamond jewelryas a trade in to upgrade or purchase your next diamond piece. Keep that in mind versus flat out selling to us. If you would just like cash for your diamond jewelry then that is what you will get! We hope to see you soon at Diamond Exchange Dallas. GIVE US A CALL TODAY @ 214-755-1806